Sunday, November 13, 2011

Coffee break

Coffee certainly wasn't invented by Mennonites, but I don't know many who don't enjoy it at some level. For some guys, however, coffee is something that women have to make because somehow it seems too complicated and fraught with potential for spectacular failure—like operating a washing machine, it's just something many guys are intimidated by and imagine that it must take years of practice. Remember Michael Keaton in Mr. Mom? I think this scene is emblazoned on my memory so I'll indulge myself and include it here.



But back to coffee. I know this french press preparation doesn't rival the complicated social ritual of Yerba Mate with it's bombillias and guampas and shared saliva (there's another post, but not from me), but it is a ritual nonetheless. You eventually get into a rhythm:
  • Stagger out of bed before the kids get up and start the kettle
  • Either set the whistle and go back to bed until the boiling kettle wakes you up again, or attend to other morning necessities; either way, when you get back the water's ready
  • Turn off the heat to let the water come off the boil
  • Measure out the grounds or grind your own (yes, purists, I do grind my own beans some mornings)
  • Put your bagel in the toaster
  • By the time your toast is ready, your coffee should have steeped
  • Bring it all together in front of your favourite newspaper/website



Especially these days, all the various methods of coffee prep have their own cult-like defenders and detractors, but french press has gone form being a quirky "European" treat to being our mainstay morning appliance since our fancy coffee maker burned out six or seven years ago. We're going to visit Kristina and Johannes next week who have serious barista chops, and the last time we were there he made us coffe that was mind-altering in both preparation and execution. I'll see if I can get it on camera.

So, what do you use to make coffee? Do you drink it black like my father-in-law taught his daughter, who taught me —"You don't want to inconvenience people, asking for cream and sugar, yet!" Are you a Postum drinker? A Coffee Mate man?

4 comments:

  1. I just might try drinking my coffee from my guampa and bombillia:) I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have these machines at home, and they are awesome.

    http://www.baratza.com/products.php?id=43
    http://www.rancilio.it/rancilio/prod_model.jsp?id_model=49&id_language=3&id_category=26

    We will never drink espresso, cappuccino, lattes at Starbucks ever again. Their coffee is so bitter, that you need to 'add' more 'flavouring' to it, to make their coffee 'drinkable'. Not to mention pricey.

    Using good coffee beans does make a difference.
    http://www.espressoplanet.com/coffee-espresso/roasted-whole-beans/
    Of all the beans we experimented, from Costco to fancy Italian brand, we really like the taste of this one, Planet Espresso Blend 2 lb Bag. The flavour is not too bitter, but rich and very consistent body through out.

    Espresso Planet.com is a great place to buy coffee machines, grinders, and coffees. The staff are very knowledgeable and helpful.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to add a few important steps to any coffee making process.
    1.Start with fresh, whole beans. 1-3 weeks off roast is best.
    2. Grind coffee fresh, every time.
    3. Weigh both coffee and water for best results. For French Press, use 25g Coffee / 16oz water.
    4. Water temp 195-205 degrees, just off boil.
    5. Set a timer, 4 minutes is the usual number used.
    Here's a simple, enjoyable video from JJ Bean in Vancouver:
    http://www.jjbeancoffee.com/articles/french-press-video
    -Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  4. We splurged and bought a Jura automatic espresso machine on some flimsy economics about not buying Starbucks any more. Then we put it in storage and took up the peripatetic life of house-sitting. As a good (!) Mennonite, I'll drink any coffee and the more the better, except instant, though my aunt could even make that taste good. I do love freshly roasted good quality beans, though. And black, learned in university where the milk kept going sour and I was always on a diet so no sugar.

    ReplyDelete